Monday, December 28, 2009
I couldn't resist jumping on the bandwagon.
Top 10 Reader's Favorites Boulderado Blog Posts:
10. The Old and the New
9. Munchkin Masquerade
8. December at the Boulderado
7. Don't Forget!
6. Boulder Wilderness Shuttle Visitor Packages
5. The Michael Jackson Dance Party SOLD OUT!
4. Hugh Mark
3. Otis Elevator
2. Drinking Fountain in the Lobby
1. That Staircase!
(PS: I ranked the posts according to how much response each generated through user comments on the blog and on Facebook.)
Thursday, December 24, 2009
- 1000 feet of garland and 2400 white lights are strung throughout the historic and north wings
- Rhonda tied all the bows by hand and used 1500 feet of ribbon to do so
- The tree in the lobby is adorned with 1700 white lights and hundreds of ornaments
Thursday, December 17, 2009
Nowadays, our salesmen sample rooms have been converted into Deluxe Two Queens rooms -- each room holds two queen-sized beds and is bathed in the same natural light, courtesy of the original skylights still in place. As with most of the rooms on the historic side of the hotel, they are furnished with unique antique pieces like sitting chairs and side tables.
I've enjoyed sharing some of our most unique hotel rooms with you this year. Next year, I will take you around and share the history of our event spaces with you. Some of these spaces used to be hotel rooms, some are new-ish, and one even used to house the Boulder Chamber of Commerce. Stay tuned in 2010 as we explore the Hotel Boulderado's unique facility spaces!
Wednesday, December 16, 2009
The times, they were a changing during Hume's era. More and more people were able to afford purchasing a family car, and many travelers bypassed downtown Boulder in favor of the new, modern motels that had spring up on the outskirts of town. The motels offered amenities that the Boulderado couldn't compete with, like swimming pools. Even after adding a new parking lot, the only travelers who seemed to want to stay at the Boulderado were lawyers who wished to be near the courthouse. To compensate for the drop-off in occupancy, Hume decided to open up the Boulderado's rooms to more permanent guests who paid by the week or the month.
It was during Hume's tenure that a few panels fell from the stained-glass ceiling. The hotel in general was in need of freshening up, so Hume decided to remove the remainder of the ceiling and start over. He hired local contractor Moss Miles to install red, white, and blue Plexiglas in its place. A young Bill Hutson III (the Hutson's son) helped Miles with the installation, and admitted years later, "Even then I knew it was tacky."
Stay tuned to learn about the next couple that owned and managed the Hotel Boulderado during the 1960s, Ed and June Howard. For a sneak peek, you can read our transcript of an oral history from Ed on our website.
Friday, December 11, 2009
Thursday, December 10, 2009
On Friday, January 8th, we will celebrate the King of Rock and Roll's 75th birthday with Elvis Lives! Come on down to the Boulderado Events Center where DJ Chris will be spinning the King's greatest hits from 7pm to 10pm. We'll be offering plates of some of Elvis' favorite foods, like the famous fried peanut butter and banana sandwich.
We're doing something a wee bit different for Valentine's Day -- an Anti-Valentine's Day Party. Singles and couples (both married and not) are equally welcome to enjoy drinks, dancing, food, and non-romantic comedies in the Boulderado Events Center on Saturday, February 13th from 8pm to 11pm.
Stay tuned for more information about these events as it becomes available. If you RSVP for one or both of these events on our website, you will be entered in an exclusive drawing for a complimentary overnight stay at the Boulderado. Sign up today!
Tuesday, December 8, 2009
"Like many other couples, my husband Ernie and I were married on the staircase of the Hotel Boulderado. We had a lovely wedding and reception, but one of the things I remember most about that day was receiving my wedding gift from Ernie. I had recently graduated from veterinary school at CSU and have a very creative husband, so my gift arrived in the most unique way.
The entire wedding party stayed at the Boulderado the night before the wedding. I had told Ernie 'no seeing the bride the day of the wedding,' so I was sure that the knock at my room door the morning of our wedding was not him. I was startled to hear knock, knock, knock, followed by oink, oink, oink! I opened the door to find this adorable little battery-powered pig whacking into the door with her nose and oinking. Looking closer, I discovered she was wearing my wedding gift -- pearl earrings to wear at the ceremony!
We just celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary. We still have the pig, the earrings, the memories of our wonderful day, and each other."
Tuesday, December 1, 2009
- Holiday Tea series continues with Nutcracker Teas, Holiday Bazaar Teas, and carolers -- oh my!
- Our Christmas Day Buffet is filling up quickly! Many local families have made the Boulderado a part of their holiday tradition, and close to a third of the people who attend our buffets do so because they enjoyed on in the past. Thanksgiving sold out early this year, so if you are looking to book Christmas with us, call today!
- We were recently voted the #1 Place to Celebrate New Year's Eve in downtown Boulder! Find out why with our New Year's Eve Gala Ball. Later this month, I will be doing a blog post about the history and tradition related to this special night -- the official anniversary of the Boulderado's opening!